I Did It Again

I started another project.

Before you all start googling “therapy for addicted gardeners”, or “rehab facilities for crazy gardeners”, I have to tell you this is not about gardening.

Or animals.

Or sewing.

Or cooking.

Last month, Al and I bought a house.  We had been looking for just “the right” house for an investment property.  With initial plans to make the house a vacation rental, it was all about location, location, location.

After several months of looking locally and making offers, we came to realize that many homes on the market were not selling due to large amounts owed by previous owners.  This left very little room for negotiating.

And Al loves to negotiate.

So we changed gears.

We have always been fond of an area at a nearby lake.  We have been vacationing there with our boys since they were young, and it just made sense to see if there were any houses available in that particular area.

We weren’t asking for much.  A house big enough to fit our entire family comfortably.  We wanted to be able to walk down to the lake from the back door.  We wanted seclusion, peaceful surroundings, and beautiful scenery.

And, with a price range of cheap, we were in for a challenge.

In January, our patience paid off.

This was the last house we looked at the day we were in town.  From the front, you just go ho-hum.

Lake House

Not much curb appeal but we really had not planned on spending that much time at the curb.

When we started looking at lake houses, the first thing we would do upon arriving was go to the lake side and walk down. Many of the homes had severe drop-offs to the water and this was unacceptable for us having small grandchildren and all.  If the drop off was too much, we wouldn’t even bother looking inside the house.

This house was tucked in the back of a cove and had a nice slope to the water’s edge.  Very walkable and no drop offs. So far so good.

view from the lake

view from the lake

We really liked what we saw from the outside.  It was time to see the inside.

Our realtor began by saying, “Most of the furniture stays with the house.”  Sounds good, I thought.

Then she adds, “This house was built in the ’70’s and they haven’t done much to it so just keep that in mind.”

Now I’m really curious.

Gold shag carpet?  Avocado appliances? Disco Ball?  Beads instead of doors?

So, without further ado, here’s a glimpse of the inside.

First of all, we have the upstairs kitchen in all it’s ’70’s glory.

upstairs kitchen wallpaper

upstairs kitchen wallpaper

Lake House

you can’t tell from this pic, but the curtains match the wallpaper.

Far out, man.

Lake House

And I know y’all will be jealous of the master bathroom.

Lake House Lake House

Lake House

yes, the paneling is blue and white and matches the sink and shower perfectly

Right on.

Here is the other upstairs bathroom.

Lake House

the shower/tub is cream-colored, thank the Lord

Lake House Lake House

Maybe it’s just me but there’s something about this dated wallpaper that makes me want to boogie-oogie oogie til I just can’t boogie no more!

But wait there is more!

Here’s a piece of furniture you will recognize if you grew up in the 70’s.

Lake House

Complete with a record player (which unfortunately doesn’t work.)

Along with an….

8 track player!!!

Lake House

And I’m not jivin’ you when I say it works!

Here are some of the light fixtures that were left to light up my life.

Lake House Lake House Lake House

Can you dig it?

Do you feel the need to put on your go-go boots or platform shoes yet?

You will after you see the countertops in the downstairs kitchen.

Lake House

Yes, this is orange to the max.

Don’t have a cow man, cause I’ve been told orange countertops are making a comeback.

Lake House

At least the appliances aren’t avocado green, right?

According to the realtor, many people were completely turned off by these funky rooms.  But we instantly liked it.  It felt right.  We felt it had good bones and just needed someone who understood its past.

We do.

I have already begun painting a bedroom and scouring ideas online to make this a cozy retreat for us as well as family and friends.  I doubt it will be ready to rent out until next year since we can only do so much on a weekend and, with gardening and new animals arriving this spring, my spare time will be pretty much nonexistent.   But I will keep you posted on the progress.

Until then,

Goodnight John Boy

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Family, Garden, Home, Lake house and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to I Did It Again

1. Gede Prama says:

I am happy to read it. Have a beautiful day 🙂

2. Kevin says:

Congrats on the new digs. I like that walk to the lake — are those white birches? I can see how some of that wallpaper might make you dizzy, but perhaps you should have a ’70s theme housewarming party before your remodel. By the way, that orange countertop would look great over modern white cabinets. Just sayin’.

3. bhoyt10 says:

Great project! I had red and white paneling like the blue when I was a kid! I loved it! Lol. That is a wonderful deck!

4. Congrats on the new house. The location by the lake is so perfect. And the decor provides lots of opportunities for conversation. You could host a That 70s Show retrospective!

5. Far Out, Brenda! That house will give you and your family years of lakeside fun!
    I’ll bet if you loaded that console into the truck and brought it home, Al could fix the record player…Chances are it’s a drive belt that dry-rotted. The one at my Mom’s house had to have the belts replaced a few years ago, and it works fine! No 8-track, though 😦

6. Holleygarden says:

I love it!!! So cool, it’s groovy! The location is fabulous, and I actually love the orange countertop. And the record player is fabulous!!! I think I still have some 8 tracks if you need more to add to your collection. 😉 Congratulations!

• thanks! I am looking forward to creating some unique rooms but keeping the 70’s feel. Should be quite a challenge.
      Don’t know if you received my note, but thank you so much for the seeds! I would like to send you some if you want-just let me know.

7. I’d like that orange counter top better if the cabinets were painted white. You might enjoy watching Knock It Off for some affordable, do-it-yourself decorating ideas. You can watch it online: http://livewellnetwork.com/Knock-It-Off/9048329

8. Mags Corner says:

Wow, what a beautiful place, took me down memory lane with inside decor. If it were me I would keep some things and change others but not all that much. I am with you on the avocado green, never like it. Looks like a great purchase to me and I bet you will have fun fixing it up just like you want it. I will look forward to seeing and hearing all you do to it. Hugs

9. Love it! My son loves pool … let me know if you want to sell that lamp. (seriously)

10. The Dancing Rider says:

YAY! This is fabulous! Beautiful there, and great house! Love the 70’s, must admit…… eeek, showing my age. Very cute photos. Love the location. Coooool, man!

11. Anonymous says:

Hi Brenda, Just talking with Randy this week. Deffinitely wants a home on the lake. He doesn’t care if its bever or Table Rock. I feel he would love hearing about your search first hand. I will be down thursday for our monthly class meal. If Randy has some time perhaps we could visit on the weekend. Charlie Moon

12. bittster says:

Not sure if I’d keep everything, but for a rental it could be a lot of fun to stay with the whole 70’s theme! It looks to be in great condition and the location, location, location looks awesome!

13. Thanks! Not sure I will be able to get my family out of it long enough to rent, though!

14. Fantastic! Love that you have a new place and the funky decor – are you going to keep some of the fittings?

15. Peter/Outlaw says:

Just when I finally got rid of the last of the 8 track tapes! Rats! A groovy family like yours will pick up some good vibrations in this new pad! It’s like taking a trip down memory lane. Maybe you should preserve it as a period piece as you never know when this will be the cats meow again. You never know when the Brady Bunch might need to find a lakeside rental. I remember at the time thinking that this stuff was all so cool. What were we thinking?

• I know! My husband told me this weekend we should call it the Brady Bunch house! Some things are staying and some are going and some will be redone although I’m not sure how just yet. At least there was no gold shag carpet! And to make matters worse(?), I found some funky TV trays at a flea market that match that orange countertop. Al said,” you actually paid money for those?” I’m just going with the flow, baby!

16. Great dream come true…I’d say you found your bliss!!

17. Jane Brewer says:

I LOVE the decor…don’t change a thing! It reminds me of my teens hehe

18. Pingback: Lake House Remodel Update | The Blonde Gardener