Armadillo Update: A How-To Guide

I never thought I would be writing a post like this but, here’s how I got the armadillo out of the swimming pool.

The phrase that kept coming to mind was, “I wouldn’t touch that with a 10 ft. pole.”

But that’s exactly what you need.

It also helps if it has a big net on the end.

Unfortunately, I was by myself and unable to photograph or video this procedure (as I needed all my appendages to be working as a team.)

Fortunately, I had a cooperative armadillo which made this task much easier than I expected.

So, here is my How-To Guide for Removing An Armadillo from your Pool.

If the armadillo is wedged in the skimmer,

armadillo

use your 10 ft. pole and nudge him until he backs out.

This will force the armadillo to swim (and surprisingly they can swim quite well.)

Using the net end of the pole,  scoop up the armadillo.  Most armadillos are large so bend with your knees not your back to avoid injury.

Slowly raise the net out of the water.

Walk carefully to where you will be releasing the armadillo.  (I chose a downhill slope)

With the opening of the net positioned away from you, lay the net down and run away.

This particular armadillo found its way out quickly and ran down the hill without incident.

Annie guided the armadillo

annie

to an adjacent brush pile (where I hope it packed up its things and moved far, far away)

while Sheldon continued to give us his never-ending look of haughty derision.

sheldon

Here’s wishing you an armadillo-free day!

Brenda

aka–Armadillo Whisperer

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Arkansas, Farm life, Garden, Home and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Armadillo Update: A How-To Guide

1. Why’d you run away? You just plain chicken or are they prone to attack? Your tag needs to say “removing armadillos from pool” because surely, someone somewhere in the world, is going to need this info. When I search the web, I narrow my request to absolutely what I need so I don’t waste a lot of time.

2. Peter/Outlaw says:

I’m impressed! You are now queen Armadillo Be Gone!

3. bhoyt10 says:

My kids thought the armadillo in the pool was funny. We were all wonder if they could swim, question answered! Your bravery continues to amaze me. I live with an 9 year old that would have removed the armadillo for me. He watches a little too much Turtle man.

4. Swimming armadillos! Now that would make a funny video. I actually got to see one up close and personal several times since I moved to Texas. Once at the Ft. Worth Zoo on Christmas Day — we got to feed and touch her and she was perfectly sweet as far as a funny looking “turtle on a half-shell” could be. The other time we were out walking Guinness and Godiva and it was just digging up a flower bed on a golf course near our old house. It could have carried less about us, it was hungry for grubs.

5. ChgoJohn says:

I only skimmed the post. I didn’t want to ruin my viewing of your Animal Planet special, “The Armadillo Whisperer.”

6. The Dancing Rider says:

Great JOB! I have never heard of this, but I sure do like how you handled the little guy. Loved that Annie helped out, and Sheldon acts just like our five…. lol.

7. Patty says:

Oh my goodness! You’re much braver than I am. I would’ve been screaming the entire time or better yet, just moved.

8. So funny! Annie was laughing, too, it looks like. 🙂

9. I’ll stick this to the fridge with a magnet in case of Armadillo Emergency.

10. Pingback: How to be a Butterfly Wrangler | The Blonde Gardener

11. Pingback: JFK and Frozen Garlic | The Blonde Gardener

12. Mags Corner says:

Good job, sounds like a pro to me. : ) Hugs

13. Debbie Houston says:

I had the same thing happen yesterday. The armadillo was curled up in the skimmer and we could not get it out from the top without squeezing it’s head. We pushed it into the pool and caught it in the pool net we use to get leaves out. It was huge. At first we thought it was dead, but it was only sleeping as it was in the middle of the day. You are right, they are pretty good swimmers. I am so glad we got it out. I don’t think it could have gotten out on it’s own.