Summer is Here.

The garden is in full swing

squash blossom

okra

and the flower beds are strutting their stuff.

trumpet vine

trumpet vine

This trumpet vine is going crazy.   It has covered the fence and then some.

trumpet vine trumpet vine

This bee was caught taking a nap in one of the flowers

trumpet vine, bee

until Allen woke him up.

bee, trumpet vine

Way to go, Al.

To keep this plant in check, I’ve had to call in the reinforcements.

cows, pruners

The Asclepias syriaca is covered with bees but no signs of monarch activity yet.

asclepias syriaca asclepias syriaca

This hen and chick is showing off it’s funky flowers.

hen and chick

hen and chick flower

And my Datura (or moon flowers) are beginning their summertime show, too.

datura, moon flower

8:00 pm

I only had four blooms tonight

datura moon flower

8:15 pm

but the plant is full of flowers awaiting their time.

datura moon flower

8:30–Show time

I love summertime.

Brenda

p.s.  I am joining Carol @ Maydreams Garden for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.  Check out some amazing gardens from all over the country.

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Arkansas blogger, Flowers, Garden, summer flowers, Vegetables and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Summer is Here.

1. The Dancing Rider says:

Beautiful photos! Love the trumpet vine and the reinforcements! The Moon Flowers are fabulous.

2. bhoyt10 says:

I love the moon flowers! I grew them one summer! Purple okra?

3. Peter/Outlaw says:

Summer is such a wonderful time in the garden! Your blooms are beautiful! Happy GBBD!

4. I had a neighbor who planted a trumpet vine back in Oklahoma….we didn’t have cows to help keep it in-check!
    Mmmm, okra…I *do* miss okra!

5. Going crazy is just what trumpet vine does. Hope the cows work. I’ve only seen one Monarch all year, and no caterpillars.

6. ChgoJohn says:

Beautiful blooms in your garden. Love the moon flowers. I’m currently at war with my trumpet vines. I had 2, one was blown down during a storm last Spring and removed. The other will be removed next Spring. I have trumpet vine sprouts appearing all over my yard and in the neighboring yards, too. I never thought to buy a herd of cows. Who knew? 🙂

• I was going to say you may THINK you removed them but they always manage to come back. I had dug these up more than once and this is the result. I don’t mind the cows trimming those plants at all, but they also like anything they can reach over the fence. Even thorny roses!

7. Down here in the tropics, gardening is over in June. Too hot to set blooms and too many bugs. Didn’t have a good veggie garden this year and Poppie’s daylilies never bloomed. He thinks they froze in one of those surprise cold spells after March. Thankfully, the flowers have put on a good show. Wish I had some reinforcements for my dollar weed.

8. Dee says:

So love your datura’s swirly whirly nature. Happy Bloom Day!

9. Scott Weber says:

That Asclepias syriaca is gorgeous…so jealous…and I love the color of your Trumpet Vine! Most of the ones I see around here are more of a bright orange/red…yours is WAY nicer!

10. Love the flower pictures Brenda. I am particularly interested in the banner across the top of your blog. When I first saw it I thought it was a field of sunflowers. But on looking closer I’m not so sure. Either way its very pretty. Yellow flowers are so sunny.

11. I am awaiting my okra to flower but I had my first monarch visit today!! Great flowers for Bloom day!