Chicken Coop/ Garden Shed Update

I could not wait to get back from meetings last week to check on the progress of my chicken coop/garden shed.

As I’ve said before, the guy building it only works a few hours a day on it so progress has been pretty slow.

Looks like he got quite a bit done last week!

This is what it looked like when I left

chicken coop

Then this happened while I was gone

chicken coop chicken coop

I wasn’t going to do cedar siding, but he got a good deal so we went with that.  I love it!

chicken coop

Cedar siding

It smells so good.

I even have a small door that opens from the loft.

chicken coop chicken coop

Here’s a peek on the inside

chicken coop

chicken coop side

As you can see, the shed is divided into two rooms.  This is the chicken coop side.  You are looking where the roosts will be.

chicken coop

garden shed side

And this is the garden shed side.  Can you see the opening to the loft?  Can’t wait to see what happens this week!

Brenda

p.s. 59 days til spring!

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Garden and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Chicken Coop/ Garden Shed Update

1. TN says:

Wow, it is awesome! That guy has done a great job.

2. That shed looks too good for chickens – I’d turn it into a writing studio.

3. Peter says:

I’m excited for you! Your maison pour les poulets looks beautiful! You are lucky to have found such a great craftsman.

4. Holleygarden says:

What a beautiful shed. And I’m so glad you went with the cedar. It will fade gorgeously, and no problems with bugs. I know you’re anxious to get in there!

5. To me, your handyman’s progress doesn’t look slow at all! He’s doing a great job, too.

6. Patty says:

Love the chix coop! Do you have any mor einfo on the “living roof” or plans for the run part? Adding a run to my shed and need help with how much wood to buy, etc. I’d paint the door a barn red or orange.

• Patty, my living roof is 5’x 16′ and 5 inches deep. The builder laid down plywood 1st/ pond liner (glued to plywood)/ then 1/2″ foam board. I will put my potting mixture on top and probably cover with some leftover chicken wire just to keep the soil from washing off. After I plant, I will mulch with sphagnum moss.
      The run is just 12 x 16 with posts every 5 ft. It is covered (top and sides) with chicken wire and the chicken wire also extends 2 ft. from the edge and has been covered with dirt.
      Thanks for visiting my blog! Brenda

7. Katelyn says:

Do you have any pics of the finished “Hilton Hen” house? Please share. (katelynmcclanahan@Yahoo.com)

• I’m waiting for it to warm up so I can plant the living roof. Once that’s done, it will be finished! I’ll post some pics as soon as that’s done. thanks for asking.
      Brenda

• Katelyn says:

We just started construction our Hen Mansion today so I’m very interested to see the inside of someone else’s large “house” because the majority of the ones you see online are very tiny. We tried to build something that would allow us to have everything contained in one space. I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures once it warms up!

• How exciting!! Keep us posted on the progress. Mine is 5 x 16 and the other side is a garden shed. I’ve got a couple of pics coming in an upcoming post.

8. What a lovely coop you’ve got here Brenda. I was looking for some chicken coop ideas and was so more than happy to be directed to your site. Your “gurlz” must be so lucky to be dwelling on their Hilton hen house by now. I just wonder how much it cost you to build such. Just want to check if my budget will fit in. By the way do you have a picture of the finished product? I’m so eager to have a peak of your Hilton hen house. Thank you for sharing this in your blog.

9. This is an awesome chicken coop!