What’s blooming in November?

Here it is the 15th of November and, although we have had a few frosts, my old-fashioned petunias are still going strong.

Old fashioned petunia

These flowers were started from seed that I saved from last year.  They tend to get a bit leggy so cutting them back a couple of times a season is a good idea.  I grow these in a variety of beds.  Some in full sun and others get afternoon shade.  They are not a picky and that’s one of the reasons I love them.

The other plant I have blooming right now is Gaura.

Gaura ‘Whirling Butterflies’

Gaura is a small shrub native to Arkansas.  The flowers are small but they cover this shrub from front to back.

Gaura flower

The flowers are on a wiry stem and when the wind blows the flowers look like they are twirling.  Gaura gets about 3 foot tall and 2-3 foot wide and has bloomed all summer and now fall!

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Flowers, Garden and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to What’s blooming in November?

1. Peter/Outlaw says:

Happy GBBD! Your petunias and gaura still look smashing!

2. Hoov says:

Petunias–amazing! They look great even though this is November. Happy GBBD!

3. Hoov says:

Petunias–fabulous in November. 🙂 Happy GBBD!

4. Scott Weber says:

I love those old-fashioned Petunias…the totally remind me of my Grandma!

5. julieadolf says:

What a nice splash of color your petunias provide! I have a tiny bit of gaura still blooming that hid from the frost. I love those little “whirling butterflies.” Happy GBBD to you!

6. gardenbug says:

Gaura is a delight! It is usually an annual in my garden here in Ontario, but I am seldom without it because of the beauty of its motion in the wind.

7. I think I might have gaura in pink.. it actually wintered over from last year (we had a very mild winter).. I didn’t know what it was called, thanks!

8. Patrick says:

Being old fashioned petunias, do they smell sweet? Whirling Butterflies is a smashing new name and guara and would look great at that finished size.